July 31, 2009
weekly recipe experiment: cheddar burgers with red onion jam
After a hectic last couple of weeks, I wanted to make something super low key for dinner, but I also wanted to make something worthy of your time, so I went with a dressed-up burger.
I don’t even really like onions, but they were really tasty in this recipe.
Cheddar Burgers with Red Onion Jam
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups vertically sliced red onion
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound extra-lean ground round
- Cooking spray
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices white cheddar cheese
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 teaspoons canola mayonnaise
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. To prepare jam, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in sugar, vinegar, and thyme. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until onion is very tender. Remove from heat.
3. To prepare burgers, combine oregano, salt, garlic powder, and beef. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cook 2 minutes. Turn patties over. Place 1 cheese slice on each patty; cook 2 minutes or until done.
4. Spread cut sides of each bun with 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each with 1/4 cup onion jam and bun top.
This recipe is really easy, and is great for a quick weeknight meal. I give it 4 out of 5 spoons: